This is planting weekend for me. Ken and I hit the nursery this afternoon, loading up the cart with veggies, herbs and annuals. Here’s a quick inventory:
- Three tomato plants — one Early Girl and two Sunsugar cherry tomatoes
- Two green peppers
- Three basil plants
- A flat of marigolds to go around the veggies in the border
- Begonias for the front bed and kitchen window box
- Geraniums for the large pots on the deck
- Sweet potato vine and Ipomoea to fill out the geranium pots (I have no idea what these plants are, but they are colorful leafy vines that will look pretty trailing out of the pots)
- And 12 bags of mulch to go around it all!
Our broccoli hasn't done well so I'm not planting it this year. After years of uncertain success growing the cucumber and zucchini in large containers, I’m putting them out in the border garden. Hoping that the bunnies and squirrels have mercy. I’m also putting tomato cages around them so they might climb the cage instead of creeping along the ground. Looking forward to my own home-grown cucumber-tomato salad, zucchini muffins, etc.
Of course, if they don’t work out, there’s always the Royal Oak Farmers Market.